Friday, May 16, 2014

Frèt

I’m cold.  And anyone in the Midwest is probably really pissed to be reading that right now.  You’re right, my afternoon was filled with sunny skies and a blissful 85 degree temp.  Cap it off with forested mountains in every background and there isn’t much to complain about.  But it’s night time in the mountains, and I’m getting a little chilly.  After spending a week in La Fit about a year ago with an amazing team, I realized that on the next recommended packing list would be plenty of warm clothes and bedding.  It’s the rainy season.  We are in the mountains.  And it’s cold. 

But that’s not why I chose this topic to write about either.  Two years ago today was when I got the life-changing, gut-wrenching Facebook message.  Guirlene: Bedica malade.  And then minutes later: Guirlene: Bedica mouri.  I was destroyed.  I lashed out at my computer.  I made frantic phone calls.  I drank a bottle of rum, poured out an emotional roller coaster on this blog thinking it might be my last ever, and started walking towards the pedestrian bridge over the Iowa River.

Stages of grief always seemed like a silly concept when I was in school.  And then I lived them.  Sort of.  I was definitely angry.  Angry at everyone in Haiti who had let this happen to her.  The health workers for their lack of working on health.  At Charles who was in country, had a vehicle and seemingly was lost in trying to seek medical attention.  At Chris and Ginny for letting her go back.  At myself for getting attached.  And at God for all of the above.  Didn't really help as anger never does.  But hey, it’s an immature defense mechanism that is easy to turn to in our weakest moments, and I did. 

Denial and bargaining are more with my inability to face her parents with any deal of comfort.  It’s Haiti.  They’re used to dying children.  There is no guilt.  There is little grieving.  They’ve moved on.  But Americans can’t.  I can’t.  I’ve seen parents bury children and it’s always unbearable to watch.  And then the days, weeks, months, and years following can be just as bad.  #InterestingStatisticThatIHeardButCantVerify 80% of couples who bury a child end up divorced.  Not surprised. 

I think it’s because we never really reach stage 5: Acceptance.  How do you accept losing a child?  That’s not the way nature was designed.  And so because it doesn’t make sense we hang on to our anger.  It’s the easiest emotion to possess and one that will ensure that we never forget.  Anger is effortless.  Love takes work.  Love admits fallibility, but in anger you’re always right.  It’s vindicating.  And everyone around you is the victim.  There is no doubt that it can easily couple itself with depression.  Sleep disturbances, anhedonia, guilt, distracted thinking, suicidality.  There’s your five SIGECAPS there.  And so we languish.  Relationships get choked out like the seeds cast among the weeds.  Work falters like the seeds cast on desert sand. 


And so I am cold.  No longer angry to the point of no return, but unsure of where to go from here.  I can say that I will try and not write about this topic again.  But with the looming graduations and the requisite celebrations afterwards this unfortunately is likely to be lived by more people than is acceptable to me.  Thus I thought worthwhile writing.  Perhaps it can help another struggling with loss to have some introspection, or at the very least can offer a gist to an outsider of what someone might be going through.  


No comments:

Post a Comment