Thursday, January 12, 2012

Abdominal Pain

Abdominal pain is another one of the chief complaints that I avoided like the plague in my one month ER rotation in Iowa City.  Especially women.  Nothing is scarier than seeing the big board say something like, “22 yo F w/ cc of Abd Pain”.  Ugh.  Especially if she is a frequent flyer.  Let’s be honest though, if you’re having continuity of care in the ER it’s probably not a good thing.  Emergency doctors go into it because knowing their patients’ entire family history by heart is not a priority to them.  But even if she is not a frequent flyer the most likely etiology and the ‘standard workup’ are far from comparable.  At the very least she’s going to get a pelvic exam and a few blood tests drawn.   I guess it’s the annoyance of knowing I’ll have to do a pelvic on someone who is otherwise healthy that I got most annoyed with in the ER.  Not that I don’t see the utility of the exam, I just found it to be of very low yield for the complaint of abdominal pain.  And after all of the examination, serum levels, pregnancy screen, normal CT scan, and eventual pain medication you just get to tell the girl that we couldn’t find anything specific to attribute the pain to – i.e. you’re just a crazy chick, like most of them (bet I made some friends with that one…).  Now that’s not true.  Just because we can’t identify a cause for pain doesn’t mean it isn’t there.  I’m not insensitive enough to believe that.  I do find it incredibly frustrating because I like to see a cause leading to an effect because that offers me a place to intervene or reverse the process.  Endometriosis?  Shit is crazy.  What are you thinking uterine lining?  Where are you going?  Just dumb.


But the US isn’t the only country with a claim to abdominal pain.  Haitians frequently complain about it.  It comes with a myriad of characteristics.  And by characteristics I want to let everyone know that I found it impossible to articulate a translator and then have them articulate to the patient who would then respond in such a manner that the translator would be able to express the exact nature of the pain.  “Did if feel like something was pushing on your chest, stabbing your chest, or lighting it on fire?”  Three steps later, “it hurts in [his]  chest.”   Not helpful.  The same can be said for the abdominal complaints.  Although, enough Haitians have received tums to let it be known that if you use the word ‘acid’ at all you’re going to be getting something in return.  And sometimes I wonder if it isn’t game just to see how many magical pills you can get in one clinic visit.  But most of the time I just want to try and rule out big scary reasons why they would be having abdominal pain.

To be honest, I didn’t see a single patient where the thought of a big, bad, scary pathology was going on in the belly.  I could’ve guessed some peptic ulcers, maybe.  Definitely some endometriosis.  Lots of parasitic infections, including pregnancies.  I certainly hope I didn’t dismiss anyone inappropriately.  I tried my best to perform my due diligence and convince myself their aorta hadn’t ruptured.  Pretty sure someone else did notice a large AAA in our clinics, so we were mindful of these conditions.  However, it wasn’t until our last day of clinic outside of Port-au-Prince in a little town called Bonnet that my eyes were opened.
           
A small Haitian boy who couldn’t have been more than 12, and looked even younger, came up to me and told me that he had stomach pain as well as a few other complaints that he had accumulated over the past few months.  So I began asking the usual questions, “When did it start?”  “Can you point to where it is for me?”  “What does the pain feel like?”  “Is it there all the time?”  “Nausea/vomiting/diarrhea/constipation?”  “Any blood in your poop?”  “Any problems peeing?”  “Does anything make it better?”  “Does anything make it worse?”  And then I asked a question that I didn’t expect would have the impact it did.  “What does eating do to the pain?”  “It gets better.”  So for those who tend to be medically inclined, you ask that question when you think that the pain is a result of an ulcer and you’re trying to delineate whether the ulcer is above or below the gastric outlet.  If it is above the gastric outlet then food will make the pain worse because the additional acid secreted over the ulcer burns.  If the ulcer is in the duodenum then eating actually causes basic solutions and neutralizers to flow over it, effectively calming some of the inflammation.  But this was a 12 year old kid, did I really think he had a peptic ulcer in his duodenum?  I didn’t have Dynamed cued up to search the epidemiology of PUD in pre-teens.  So I asked probably the most insightful questions I’ve ever asked any of my patients, “How often do you eat?”  “Two to three times a day.”  Hmmm, that seems pretty reasonable.  Well, it’s about 2 o’clock now, so let’s see… “Have you eaten today?”  “No.”  Okay then.  “Did you eat yesterday?”  “No.”

 Well, shit.  I can’t go 4 hours without eating before my stomach starts yelling at me.  And here’s a kid with “abdominal pain” likely because he hasn’t eaten in two days.  How many kids did I let pass without asking that question?  Too many.  I asked some, but I also stopped when they responded with the “Two to three times a day” because I assumed they were telling me the truth.  I have my doubts now.  Even during my interviews in the community I’ve found that the Haitians are very adept at repeating what they think we want to hear or what is supposed to be the ‘norm’.
So I completed my interview and exam.  He wasn’t malnourished.  He was small and skinny, yes, but not the feeble, withered bag of bones that people envision when they hear malnutrition.  His belly was a little distended.  Could he have worms?  Most definitely.  We treated him for them because it’s easy enough and could make a world of difference.  But this kid was dressed in a school uniform.  Very soft-spoken and shy.  And he could’ve slipped through my fingers before I realized what the true etiology of his abdominal pain was.  But what could I do?  We had some little snacks at our clinic because most people end up waiting for us starting at 4 am.   But that isn’t a solved problem.  That’s not an intervention that will cure his abdominal pain.  This kid needed food security.  And you know what, now that I think about it I would wager that about two dozen other children that had a similar complaint over the course of my trip would benefit from food security.
 


In talking with our host, I’ve come to learn so much about Haitian culture.  For those who aren’t familiar with who I am staying with, she was a former assistant to a Prime Minister of Haiti.  She and her husband have a few very successful businesses in Miami and elsewhere, and enjoy the luxury of being able to leave Haiti whenever they’d like.  This is far from the situation most Haitians experience, so I try and recognize the perspective I’m getting when we talk about the local culture.  And before you ask, her and her husband’s hearts are ginormous and they want nothing more than to see a successful Haiti.  But she told me that most of the time the parents have no idea where their children are, and are not held responsible for the caregiving like in the United States.  That’s not too surprising.  But when she went on to say that sometimes the kids can be away from the parents for a couple days at a time and a lot of times the parents don’t go out of their way to make sure the kids eat I was taken aback.  I look forward to the day that I can labor over and spoil my child/children.  I’m excited to advance their diet and teach them to love all the flavors that the world offers.  All the textures that I’m struggling to digest even while I’m down here.  That sentiment is not shared here, according to my host.  And as evidenced by the number of “hungry” children but well fed adults.  I haven’t seen too many adults who struggle to take in enough calories.  Sure there are micronutrient deficiencies, but plenty of diabetes, overweight bodies and hypertension suggests that the adults are not struggling to find their food.

I don’t write this entry to make people feel bad like those depressing commercials featuring the “starving children” seen on tv.  Yes, childhood undernourishment and food insecurity is a huge problem in Haiti.  Dieticians would seize if they tried to do a food diary down here.  But I wanted to write this so that other people would be encouraged to ask that question - the “So, do you really eat?” question - even though the answer may make you uncomfortable.  Sometimes being in Haiti sucks.  What sucks worse is when you go to Haiti but then avoid the stuff that is gonna make you sick when you go back home.  And thinking about that hungry kid is gonna make me sick when I go back home.  And I’m glad, because if people didn’t get sick at stories like this then nobody would ever make an attempt to change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment