Monday, January 23, 2012

Haiti-itis

Okay, so this disease may not be on any coding forms your doctor could fill out.  But, in my professional opinion eighteen cases, some acute, some chronic, and some acute on chronic could be diagnosed in people I know.  Haiti-itis is a difficult condition to describe.  The life cycle is rather unpredictable, but it almost always starts with exposure to Haiti.  There are rumors of immaculate infections, but these are likely just misidentified viruses.  Most of the time the patient doesn't even realize he or she is developing this condition until days, weeks, months or even years after exposure.  Some scientists try to liken it to an addiction, a mere revving up of the dopamine reinforcement centers.  Perhaps it's in the specially prepared water?  Maybe Haitian hosts have created some elixir that sends just the right signals to distract the drinker from the fact that such extraneous efforts must be taken so they can drink water and not get sick.  Realists tend to argue it's the simple act of service that activates the pleasure and reward centers.  That's a tough point to argue because few things are as rewarding as filling a need.  And certainly that could be a large part of Haiti-itis.  But I believe this condition runs much deeper than that.

Coming from a country and a background of such excess and luxury as I have (and everyone else who may or may not be reading this) one may picture Haiti as some place for the destitute.  A place devoid of hope.  Stuck in pre-colonial 'America' where the bulk of the time must be spent simply on providing for basic needs.  And some of that is true.  Maybe that's why people come down here.  It's true, you do feel better about yourself.  You learn to appreciate the blessings you have at home, if you ever get to go back that is cause I'm still working on it.  And what's truly sick is you would spend days counting your blessings if you were trying to compare the two places.

I have a unique position.  My job is to walk around this area and just talk with people.  Ask them about their lives.  Their goals.  How they want to see the community improved.  Hear about their day to day struggles to find clean water.  Listen to their heartbreak when they tell me that they've lost 4 of their 8 children and don't have any idea what the cause was.  See kids' faces light up when I ask them what they want to be when they grow up.  "Dokte" is a very common answer.  Go get em.  Can't wait to be working alongside of you.

And I think that's it.  No, the people I traveled with don't have Haiti-itis because they're from the medical field and everyone they talk to wants to be a doctor.  Although it is nice to have your ego fed.  That "damn my job is badass" feeling is sweet.  But the fact that these people can be so open with me.  They go out of their way to find chairs for myself and my translator to sit on.  Then they grab a rag and wipe it down for me.  Dude, I'm cool just sitting on the ground.  And often times I do.  Which makes them laugh.  Can you imagine me going around Iowa City, knocking on random doors and taking 2 hours out of some woman's day to ask a bunch of questions like this?  Personal stuff too.  Money questions.  Asking to see soap because I don't necessarily believe you when you tell me that you have some.  Hell no.  I'm not sure where I would get locked up first, 2JP or the police station.

I truly think that the families think that I'm doing them this huge favor by sitting down and documenting their lives.  Writing down their struggles to finance education.  "The 'blan' is asking me what my family needs."  Even though I tell them that I make no promises.  I'm but one person involved with a group that just wants to provide better stopgap healthcare when we can.  But they believe.  Even though they've been let down by a number of NGOs promising to change their world.  Promising them the US lifestyle and then only making it harder for them to go to school.  For some reason they think that this time it will be different.  And they are happy.

#Challenged.  That's how I feel after a long day of surveys.  The gauntlet has been laid.  Hope has been given.  The people in this community accepted our team's presence for the week-long clinic and they continue to accept me in their homes to this day.  They want us to succeed.  I know my Haiti-itis will cause me to lose sleep.  I know others who report the same feeling.  Some people are jealous of my continued presence here.  I'm jealous that they can be at home with the friends and family that they love.  But I wouldn't want to leave now.  My job isn't done.  Even in March our job won't be done.  And that is the etiology of Haiti-itis, I believe.  Everyone left to return to their lives in the states knowing that there is much more work to be done down here.  Work for a people who are very easy to work for.  The love and adoration they give you is a very spiritual thing.  Acceptance.  Friendship.  Respect.  You can't help but want to work hard in Haiti.  And when you leave, you can't help but want to return so you can finish your job.



In April another clinic team will come from Iowa.  They'll provide medical care for one week and then they will go back.  And another team will find themselves suffering from a case of Haiti-itis.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work, Matt. I'm very blessed to be working down here along side of you. I'm fairly certain that our Haiti-itis, as you so aptly have described it, is definitely the chronic sort. I appreciate your work and commitment, even though I know we both realize that we are but making a small dent in the work that will be left to be done when we leave, it at least gives us reason to know that someday, somehow, we'll be back in Arcahaie. We can continue to work to make sure our promises don't go unfulfilled. We can work to make sure that Arcahaie really will be a better place, someday. I'm glad to know you. -Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt, My wife Diane agrees with your diagnosis. I will see if we can add it to the "green patient card" for our next trip. Your extreme mountain climbing story has inspired me to try out the rock climbing wall at the CRWC.

    ReplyDelete